After reading through this brief summary of the major parenting styles maybe you have become aware of two things;
- How you were parented in your family of origin
- What parenting style you naturally gravitate toward
The parenting styles may have become a mirror for you to reflect on your heart. How has your heart has been influenced by your parents and how is your heart is influencing your relationships with your children?
Current research strongly recommends the ‘Authoritative’ style of parenting. Research indicates that children raised by this style of parenting are generally happy, successful, are more likely to make good decisions and evaluate safety risks with wisdom.
So, as a parent has your past influenced your inner world? What parenting style does your inner world reflect? And is your inner world reflecting the type of parent you want to be to your child?
Can I encourage you to ask the Holy Spirit a few questions and to journal your answers?
- How has my family of origin negatively affected who I am as a parent today?
- How can I become a better parent?
- How can I establish healthy boundaries as an individual and as a parent?
- What needs to change in my heart to create a healthy family culture for my children?
My hope and desire for you is that you go on a journey with the Holy Spirit, and as a result become the parent you have always desired to be. Let’s pray.
You know me inside-out, you know the family culture I was raised in and you know how that culture has shaped my parenting style in both positive and negative ways. Father come and do an inner work in my heart, establish my heart in wise patterns of thinking and healthy personal boundaries so that I can create a healthy family culture for my children, that they are well prepared for the good and perfect plans you have for them. In Jesus name, Amen.